40 Day Prayer Relay
Plan now for the 40 Day Prayer Relay! (Wednesday 14 February- Sunday 25 March 2018)
- Register NOW
- Our Focus is Jesus and Prayer for Evangelism
- Connect as the Body of Christ
- Ways to Participate in the 40 Day Prayer Relay
- Ways to Promote the 40 Day Prayer Relay
- Ways to Support Prayer for Evangelism
- Ways to Build Inclusive Prayer Gatherings
- Words of Wisdom and Warning
Register NOW for the 40 Day Prayer Relay
The 40 Day Prayer Relay (14 February - 25 March 2018) is an Australian call to 40 Days of continuous night and day 24/7 prayer, praise and worship.
During the 40 Days you will receive 40 Daily Inspirations to refresh, equip and focus you - and to connect us as we journey and pray. In 2018 the 40 Inspirations focus on a Biblical revelation of Jesus - whose character commands us to revere and follow Him!. Each you will receive information on an unreached people group – so you can pray specifically for harvest workers to reach them. And you can help channel resources to support them.
Decide NOW when and where you will devote personal daily prayer and worship time in God’s Presence during the 40 Days.
Decide NOW when you will host or join others in prayer during the 40 Days.
Plan NOW with your prayer partners, local prayer groups and local churches how you might collaborate in prayer for your region during the 40 Day Prayer Relay. Meet to set local prayer goals and strategies for sharing the gospel in your part of the world.
Email inquiries to: [email protected]
The Focus of the 40 Day Prayer Relay is Jesus
- and His call to Pray for Evangelism.
1. Revere Jesus as the Lamb of God through your prayer and worship.
John 1:29 “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!”
Jesus is described as the Lamb of God 38 times in the New Testament! We need to unpack why these counter-culture characteristics of our Lord are so relevant in these end days.
During the 40 Days we will revere Jesus the Lamb of God through our prayer, worship, Bible study of Jesus on the cross and Jesus’ victory as the Lamb. And we will revere Jesus by obeying His Commands and Commission.
2. Follow Jesus as His dedicated disciples who make disciples.
Luke 9:23 “ And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.”
We hear the Moravian Call challenging us still,
“Our Lamb has conquered. Let us follow Him!”
When the Holy Spirit fell on the persecuted Moravians in Herrnhut, Germany in 1727, they united as radical disciples in a 100 year 24/7 prayer & mission movement that impacted the world with the gospel! 3,000 missionaries left this small community willing to sacrifice their lives saying,
“May the Lamb Receive the Reward of His Suffering.”
During the 40 Days we will explore what it means to ‘follow’ Jesus in sacrificial discipleship and be wholly His.
‘Wholly’ has two meanings – both relevant to our surrender to Jesus:
1. Entirely, fully, completely, totally, entirely, fully, thoroughly, utterly, quite, perfectly, altogether, do, without qualification, without reservation, unreservedly, in every respect, in all respects, unconditionally, unconstrainedly, unrestrictedly consummately, undisputedly, unmitigatedly, wholeheartedly, radically, stark, just, to the hilt, all the way, to the maximum extent
2. exclusively, only, solely, purely, simple, merely, alone; to the exclusion of everything/everyone else.
3. Obey Jesus: Pray for Evangelism.
Jesus asked us to pray for harvest workers; so unreached people around us and across the nations hear the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Luke 10:2-3 “He told them, ‘The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field. Go! I am sending you…”
The heart of our Lord cries out for the lost. Jesus instructs us to ask Him for harvest workers and then He sends us to Go!
Matthew 24:14 “And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.”
Pray for the unreached people around you and the unreached people groups at the ends of the earth. Do you know how to share the gospel with others? We will help equip you.
Reach out to local people to share the gospel with them and pray for and support harvest workers to the distant areas.
Connect as the Body of Christ
- Jesus is the head of the body of Christ. We look to Him and follow His leading.
- Unite globally to ensure the Gospel reaches the whole world!
- Join so the Commonwealth nations hear the gospel here: 4-15 April. Gold Coast 2018 We'll pray for Australian towns as the Commonwealth Games Queen's Baton comes to them.
- Use the map to identify locals you can join with. See your prayer as part of a continuous prayer across time and space.
- Collaborate as local churches to formulate regional prayer goals and strategies to share the gospel that can activate united prayer for evangelism and bring many to Christ during the 40 Days 2018. Set measureable outcomes for local salvations and social transformation.
Together we are Jesus’ House of Prayer for All Nations
Ways to Participate in the 40 Day Prayer Relay
The 40 Day Prayer Relay is a powerful way to pray for our nation and a simple way to participate in one continuous prayer chain. It enables us to unite while retaining the freedom of our diverse prayer & worship expressions.
Seek the Holy Spirit’s leading for how you could participate personally; with your small group; or as a church. 40 churches each hosting 24 hours of prayer and worship can cover our nation in continuous prayer for 40 Days! Will your church be one of these? There is room for us all to contribute at the times that suit you. Your church or prayer group can host prayer & worship for a 24 hour day or part of a day or night (12 hours, 6 hours, 2 hours).
- Prayer Partners: You are welcome to register to pray as an individual – and one with the Lord is mighty! But to register a ‘prayer meeting’ you need at least two people. A prayer partner could be someone you pray with in-person, on the phone, or on neighbourhood prayer walks. With 2 or more people you can co-discern, pray in agreement, pray for each other and encourage each other. If you find a prayer partner you can double the number of people praying! We based this definition of a prayer meeting on Matthew 18:19-20 “if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.”
- Days of Prayer: You can register Prayer Days – times you and your prayer partner/s, family, group or church take days for prayer & worship during these 40 days – e.g. once a week or once between 14 February - 25 March 2018.
- Regular Ongoing Prayer Meetings: Your church can register your regular prayer meetings as part of the national relay.
- 24 hr Prayer: You can organise your prayer network or local church – to set aside one 24 hour day (or part thereof) during these 40 days. It can be as simple as 24 people giving an hour to pray from home or 12 people giving 2 hours each! Don’t try to “pray” aloud nonstop through your prayer watch. Simply put on some worship music and rest in God’s presence – praying as the Holy Spirit leads you, and praying in tongues if you have this gift. Spend time in adorational prayer and thanksgiving. Tell God and declare to the spiritual realm what you love about Him! Spend deep time listening to the Lord. Recognise when your ‘thoughts’, mental pictures, songs and Scriptures are prompted by the Holy Spirit to lead you in how to pray. Declare aloud proclamations that arise in your spirit – the will of God for your family, church, neighbourhood, region and nation! The benefits increase if your team can meet and overlap in a prayer room in a private home or church building. This builds connection and encouragement. You could ask them to leave notes on the Scriptures that they read, songs words that resonated, what they discerned God saying. Others could be invited to come as they are able to join them in the prayer room. Plan for security and social appropriateness – for example: select a home approved by your pastor; with both husband and wife present.
- Local Church Public 24/7 Prayer: It is powerful if your local church opens its doors for people to come and go for a day and night of continuous prayer & worship. We suggest you roster two people for each two hour shift during the day and a night shift team. They can lead segments of verbal prayer but also leave space for people to worship with music, wait on God and pray silently or in groups. It is wonderful to have a musicians for some segments – but recorded music can also be used in Spirit led ways. Consider how you will cover security for attendees and building – for example parking, secure entry, toilets, tea and coffee facilities.
- Local Regional Gatherings: Churches can collaborate to hold a prayer and worship relay in one venue across a weekend or longer….with prayer & worship leaders in 2 hours shifts.
- Regional 24/7 Relays. Local churches or prayer groups are hosting 24/7 prayer relays for 40 Days in their area! Churches can collaborate (e.g. 2 hours each) to host a Regional Prayer Relay across a 24 hour period or weekend.
Ways to Promote the 40 Day Prayer Relay:
- Invite family, friends, colleagues and other local churches to register.
- Invite your friends and networks to join the 40 Day Prayer Relay. You can use our website Facebook page. Check link
- Talk with your pastors and leaders about how your local church can plan now to pray for the nations – neighbours, regions or the 40 Day Prayer Relay.
- Order or download and print posters and fliers for 40 Days Prayer Relay Use church notice systems – announcements in church; by handing out fliers, sending emails with links to promo videos etc Encourage them to register individually so they will receive updates and 40 Inspirations 14 February-25 March 2018.
- Encourage members of your church to register individually so they get 40 Inspirations by email during the 40 Days.
- Download the 40 Day Relay 2018 video promos to be used in your church services.
- During the 40 Days take time in your church services to revere Jesus and pray for the gospel to go to all nations. Disciple them to share Jesus and support the gospel going to unreached people groups.
- Plan NOW with your leaders the measurable outcomes that you can pray for your local church, neighbourhood, region and nation so you can track your answered prayers. We would love to hear outcomes you are identifying because we may be able to share these with others to pray in agreement with you.
- An Ongoing Prayer Relay: Feel free to join 24/7 prayer at any time during the year or during the 40 Days (14 February – 25 March 2018). Most of the prayer groups will continue after the 40 Days.
Ways to Support Prayer for Evangelism
The 40 Days Prayer Relay is brought to you by PIPES: Partners in Prayer & Evangelism.
Please pray for us as we prepare – and for those who will join and be impacted.
Pray many will be convicted to join the 40 Day Prayer Relay and to Pray for the Nations – neighbourhoods and regions all year and to share who Jesus is to others.
Pray that Jesus will be revered and the many will receive Jesus as their Lord.
Please support us financially. Participation is free but there are high costs for designing, printing and posting posters, developing video clips and the 40 Inspirations and staff. This is a year long sacrificial job for many of us. We are reliant on donations from churches, individuals and groups who appreciate what we do.
Ways to Build an Inclusive Prayer Gathering
- Firstly pray and seek the Holy Spirit’s leading so you plan what the Lord wants. He builds His House of Prayer or we build in vain.
- Have people praying for your meeting and in the space in the hour before others arrive.
- Prior to the gathering connect relationally with those who are coming so many can contribute and participate meaningfully.
- Invite local church leaders and their congregations. This may mean visiting local pastors from other churches so you’ll recognise and can introduce them publicly and privately. If you already have relationship you may like to invite them to participate and inviting their worship leaders and people to contribute to a collaborative gathering.
- Invite local politicians, community leaders, previous church leaders, Indigenous friends and guests and introduce them with honour.
- Listen to what the Spirit is saying through the meeting and let the Spirit lead you.
- Provide clear signage so guests can find you and understand they are welcome and who you are.
- If possible sit in a circle or invite freedom to move about, sit on the floor etc
- Be warmly welcoming. If you have visitors explain proceedings and lift any pressure so people can relax. Don’t drop unexpected demand on people.
- Consider offering a time of worship that is inclusive – songs or choruses that people may know. Appoint a worship leader who will lead you deeply into worship and be sensitive to how God is moving. Have a sufficient level of backing – by CD or worship leaders -so people can sing along comfortably or not. Often the Spirit will interject singing during the prayer to refresh our focus on Jesus and unify us or change direction.
- Encourage those who lead public prayer to be Spirit-led. Avoid modelling monologue prayers and gently interrupt if necessary. Provide opportunities but not pressure for people to participate by praying in small groups at some point so all who want to can contribute.
- Avoid having speeches or preaching but invite or expect the reading of Spirit-led Scripture.
- Provide time for individual prayer at the end and fellowship over supper if the venue etc permits. This is an important aspect for getting to know visitors, and introducing people from other local churches etc.
A Word of Wisdom and Warning:
We invite all who connect on this website to exercise discernment and discretion in how you meet others and who you trust. If you are a group host, begin as we do in life by getting to know people - how they introduce themselves to you via email; by talking on the phone or even meeting in a public place - before you invite them to your home or prayer meeting. We recommend you take a friend with you when you enter a new group and don't enter or stay if you are not comfortable.
Use your Godly wisdom and take responsibility for your own conduct and choices. You are welcome to inform us of any concerns. Trusting you will be blessed and make many new friends and partners in prayer!
Contact us: Sue Tinworth [email protected]